Located on Franklin Street in downtown Wilkes-Barre, the Frederick Stegmaier Mansion is a gorgeous model of High Victorian architecture in the River Street Historic District.
A focal point of historical rehabilitation, the Frederick Stegmaier Mansion was restored to its former glory by current owner Joseph Matteo.
The building was the former home of the Stegmaier family, who are still recognized worldwide for their “Gold Medal” beer.
Their legacy is carried on in our area through continued production of their famous brews. The mansion remained in the Stegmaier family for over 35 years, until it was purchased by Joseph Matteo.
In addition to Charles Stegmaier, the mansion has had only three other owners. It was originally constructed in approximately 1870 by local architect Missouria B. Houpt. He stayed in the building for 29 years, when it was purchased and maintained by Abram Nesbitt until 1906.
The Frederick Stegmaier Mansion now functions as an historic house museum, banquet facility, and grand bed and breakfast. It is host to weddings, private dinner parties, overnight stays, and historical tours.
The first floor of the mansion contains the entry foyer, ladies’ parlor, gentleman’s parlor, library, dining room, and kitchen. The second floor contains the mansion’s overnight rooms and suites, including Amelia’s Suite, the Gold Medal Room, the 1857 Lager Room, and the Brewmaster’s Suite.